Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Arbitrary Lines

Torrance, California   c.1960

Printed ink flickers
Against the fact of water
Falling as itself, regardless. 

And I felt better watching it fall
Without telling myself that it did,
Down the green gullies
Of the Flores’ fiberglass roof
That shed a green glow
Upon bright ceramic figures
Crowding the patio shelves.
I knew the brightness of green
Surpassed the ink of the name
I’d learned to read: “green”. 

Mr. Flores sang with the Spanish songs,
Full voice lifting through the rain.
I liked not knowing the words
That taught me the sound of a happy man.
I wished I could be the neighbor girl
Who helped with the shelves,
Polishing the figures,
Seeing his face as he sang. 

I watched from my window next door,
The streaming of water
From the green roof
Where I wasn’t allowed
Since his words didn’t match ours: 

Verde.  Green.
With a cinderblock fence to remind me
Of the arbitrary lines between.



                                                                                    June, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment