Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Carnival Birds

Ping pong balls and beckoning fishbowls
Would win you a budgie at the county fair.
I wanted the blue with the striped white head,
The piece of sky plucked with a cloud on top. 
 
My wrinkled dollar bought four white balls
That bounced hollow pocks off thick glass rims
Holding goldfish swimming brainless and bored.
My father seized on the daughter’s dream,  

Determined, surprising the intensity of his hands
Reaching for dollars, launching out balls
That landed no better than mine.
The mocking “pocks” of the balls taunted him on 

Past the point when other dads left.
I would have a bird that night, I knew,
Proud and embarrassed and curious all the same,
To see how this odd kind of love would result 

In a winged creature I would keep in a cage.
I would teach him to speak, beyond words to repeat,
Join full conversations and learn his bird thoughts. 

His black eyes would pierce through all the bad days
And we’d play with bells and mirrors and slides,
Bird ladders to climb with sweet seeds at the top.  

He would have millet, beak sharpeners, more
The moment my father’s white aim would splash
In a bowl, the fish shocked out of its circular path,
And I with a bird to bring home at last. 

I studied the books with scholarly care,
Was warned of the molting and mites and spots on the feet,
But the poor bird died as birds always do
While I was at mass like a very good girl, 

Despite the day’s fasting, confession, and prayers—
It must have been the box of Nesbitt’s wafers
I’d opened and pinched a cookie or two,
To account for the death of the bird that I knew. 

I stripped my Sunday dress while he was cold in his cage,
Tasting my first moment of justified rage.
I dug under my window, where the dogs usually lay,
And dropped in a matchbox to bury the day. 

My father left shortly thereafter,
With my knowledge that cookies
Had caused the disaster. 
                                                                                                              (1967) 2012
 

                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment